Tagedelic: My First Attempt at Porting a D6 module to D7
Now that Drupal 7 has been released, I decided to re-launch my personal site with the new CMS. Since I have been working with Drupal 6 (D6) for about a year, I didn't have too many reservations giving D7 a go. One of the biggest reasons why I chose to launch a new site in D7 was the number of contrib module maintainers who have promised to have a D7 version of their modules the day D7 core is released.
I thought my site was pretty basic, just some posts with tags for categorizing the content. However, I wanted an intuitive way for visitors to see which were the most used tags on the site and the related content. Enter Tagedelic.
This module had made the D7 pledge early in 2010 when D7 was anticipated to have been released. However, when the first and second predicted release dates came and went, the maintainer no longer had any time to start a D7 port ... or so I thought. I saw the information on the project page that did not list a D7 development version and stumbled across a post on the maintainer's personal site stating there currently was no D7 version of the module and that if you needed a working version for D7 you could fork his project on github.
So without looking at the current branches of the project, I went ahead and forked the project so I could make the D7 port for myself and then contribute my changes back to the Drupal community. Turns out there was already a D7 branch that others were working on. But in the end it was a great learning experience and now I have a working Tagadelic module (as you can see under the Search box).
Eventually, I will post how I ported a D6 module to D7.